Monday, December 16, 2013

“Christmas Contentment” 1 Timothy 6:6-8


I have said before that I think it is important to give credit where credit is due and today I want to give credit…to McDonalds.  I happen to like McDonalds and I enjoy the food.  I don’t want to eat there every day but I nearly always have a good experience there.  And that is not an accident.  They have spent millions of dollars and many years figuring out what the average person wants and they do their best to give it to you. 

Nobody goes there for great food.  They go there because the food is good enough and it’s fast and relatively cheap.  That’s what people want.  I’m in a hurry so fill me up fast and cheap.  Except for the kids.  And McDonalds knows what kids want too.  What do all kids want when they go there?  Besides the slide and stuff, they want a “Happy Meal”.  And it is absolutely genius on the part of Mickey D’s because I don’t know how much a Happy Meal costs but I’m pretty sure it’s not worth it.  But they sell billions of them.

I was in there the other day and I watched Dad buy Junior a Happy Meal.  The kid opens it up and totally ignores the burger and fries and goes straight for the toy.  He opens it up, and I can’t see what it is but I can tell you it was cheap and, sure enough, after about 3 minutes, it broke.  “Waaa!  I want another Happy Meal, Daddy!”  The kid had barely touched his nuggets and had eaten about 3 fries and he already wanted another Happy Meal because his toy broke. That’s genius from a marketing prospective.

But how ridiculous of that kid!  I mean, isn’t he smart enough to know that he’s being a sucker, falling for the old cheap toy in the overpriced meal trick?  And you would think they would learn, but no.  Every time they get a toy that won’t even last long enough to make it home but they always want it.  And then they can’t believe it broke and start crying when it does what it was designed to do.  Only a kid would be so foolish as to think that material possessions could bring lasting happiness, right? 

Only a kid would be so naïve as to think that happiness would really come with the accumulation of stuff.   My point is hopefully obvious that we as adults do the same thing.  Our Happy Meals just cost more and out toys sometimes even need insurance.  But we still don’t learn the lesson. 

Let me ask you a question.  Do you believe what the Bible says?  Do you really believe it?  Do you believe every word to the point you would stake your life on it?  Would you stake your eternity on it?  Would you stake your happiness and contentment on it? 

And of all the people in the Bible, who do you trust the most?  Would it be Jesus?  So, if you believe the Bible and you trust Jesus then listen to these words written in red in Luke 12:15.  “And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all greed, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”  That should get lots of “Amens” because it’s easy to amen when you aren’t getting your toes stepped on, right?  When the guy behind you is getting his toes stepped on, you say amen real loud, don’t you?

The problem is that greed is a lot like pride.  Nobody thinks they have a problem with it but they all know lots of people who do.  And it has always been that way and that is why Jesus tells us to be on guard against it. 

I want us to look at another passage in another book of the Bible written by another pretty reputable guy.  One might think that the books of Timothy were written by Timothy but they were actually written by Paul to his young friend Timothy.  And the 2 books of Timothy and the book of Titus are called the “pastoral epistles” or letters to pastors, since Timothy and Titus both had pastoral duties in the church.

Paul is writing to these men but also to the rest of the church and even to us today to tell us what is expected, not only of pastors, but in the church.  In the 6th chapter of 1 Timothy, the subject of money and stuff, or possessions, comes up and I thought it would be appropriate and helpful to us to read this here at the Christmas season.  So, turn to 1 Timothy 6:6-8. 

But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.” 

We have all heard the stories or at least seen the cartoons about some guy wanting to know the secret of life or the meaning of life and so he climbs to the top of a mountain to ask the Dalai Lama or some Hindu swampy swami or something.  And all he had to do is read this passage.  It’s right there.  Because, what is the goal of most people’s lives?  To have enough to be happy or content.

Paul says here, “Got it!  Found it!  You can quit looking.”  But how does he do that?  How can he be content with just food and clothing?  By the way, that word translated clothing actually means “covering” and can include a house or shelter of some kind.  But if that is how Paul intended it, it would be ironic since neither he nor Jesus had any kind of house to live in. 

No, I think Paul was able to say he was content with just clothes and food.  He proved that we don’t even have to have shelter of our own.  God will even provide that.  Some of you here might be able to relate to that too.  When he learned that his house had been destroyed by fire, John Wesley exclaimed, "The Lord's house burned. One less responsibility for me!"  To be able to truthfully say that is the very definition of contentment. 

But I want us to see that contentment like Paul and John Wesley had is obtainable for us as well.  But I want us to see what affects our contentment.  Our contentment is affected by how we look back.  It is affected by how we look forward.  But it is not affected by the present. 

Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe, the great commentator and Bible scholar once said, “Do not say, "Why were the former days better than these?" You do not move ahead by constantly looking in a rear view mirror. The past is a rudder to guide you, not an anchor to drag you. We must learn from the past but not live in the past.”

That is perfect advice for this passage.  In verse 7, Paul says that we have brought nothing into this world.  We can look back and see exactly what he is talking about, of course.  When we were born we didn’t own anything.  We couldn’t do anything except the most basic of bodily functions.  And, yet, look where God has brought you. 

And you know, in the scheme of things, not much has really changed.  We can do a little bit more but we are still pretty helpless when it comes to most things.  We can’t stop time or increase space.  Can you adjust the brightness of a sunrise or warm the temperature of the ocean?  Despite what Al Gore says, no, you can’t.  We can’t even change the attitude of the crotchety old neighbor next door.  And, yet, look where God has brought you. 

God is in control of all of that and when I think of how God has protected and provided for me, it makes me content.  When I understand that really all that I can do; the only real choice I can make in this life is to be obedient or not and that other than that, God is in control, I am content.  I can be content with what I have because I know that the Creator and Sustainer and Controller of the universe knows me and loves me and wants to have a relationship with me and has for 46 years given me everything I needed to be here doing what I am supposed to do, then I can be content. 

It’s why Paul said in Philippians that he had learned to be content in whatever circumstance he was in.  He knew that God was in control and when he looked back he could see that God had always provided everything Paul needed to be the man God wanted him to be.  Of all the people in the world who could have reason not to be content it would be Paul.  And yet I can only remember one time in all of his letters does he ever request anything more than prayer.  One time he asked them to bring his books and his coat to him in prison.

Some of us can look back and see that more stuff does not mean more contentment.  My dad loves to tell the story of when he bought a little camper trailer.  With 3 kids, he needed some place to get away and study or just get away and so he saved up and bought this little trailer.  It needed a little bit of work so he spent some more money and time.  Then he needed a better hitch on the car – more time and money. 

Then some neighbor kids got in and started messing around so he had to upgrade the locks.  He had to keep an eye on it all the time, getting up in the middle of the night to check on it if it stormed.  It was just one thing after another.  He finally got tired of all that and sold it and never felt such contentment as when it pulled out of the driveway.  Looking back, we can see that more stuff doesn’t bring contentment but seeing how God has always provided does. 

So, our contentment is not only affected by looking backward, it is also affected by looking forward.  Paul says in verse 7 that we take nothing out of this world.  We have all heard the jokes about how you never see a U-Haul on a hearse.  What we have to look forward to has nothing to do with what we have in this world.  Romans 8:18 says, “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” 

James 4 says this life is a wisp of smoke.  It’s all we know right now and it seems like it takes forever but it’s as transient as a shadow, Job says.    Psalm 39:4 says, “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.”  And all of that would bum you out if you didn’t have something to look forward to.  How could you be content if you just saw the situation you were in and the only good thing to be said was that soon you were going to die?

2 Corinthians 5 says, “For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling.”  I have an idea that if we knew more about what heaven was like then we would groan all the more, longing to be there.  We can be content here and now knowing that we have then and there to look forward to. 

We know that in this life we brought nothing into it and God provided everything we needed.  How much more will we enter Heaven completely empty-handed and have everything there?  I Thessalonians 4 says, “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.…” 

And do you know that we are supposed to be looking forward to that?  Colossians 3 says, “Seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”  What I don’t know about Heaven is more than what I do know but it doesn’t keep me from looking forward to it and when I look forward to Heaven, it makes me content. 

My knowledge of that life is small,

The eye of faith is dim,

But it's enough that Christ knows all,

And I shall be with him. - Richard Baxter 

I can look back and see how God has always protected and provided and I can look forward to when this wisp of a life is over because I have a relationship with God through His Son Jesus.  I can look back and be content and I can look forward and be content.  But my contentment is not affected by the present and I’ll tell you why.  Because the present…is pretty nasty. 

I don’t mean right here and right now.  This is the high point of my week.  I love being a part of this church.  But this life and this world is nasty.  The Mayo Clinic staff wrote a piece on how to be content and it caught my eye.  It was good; giving some tips on how to be content, like: find your purpose and show gratitude.  But the very last sentence said, “Focus on the positives in the present moment, instead of dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.” 

I like the part about not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future, although, like I said a healthy way of looking backward and forward can also make you content.  But what about that part that says to focus on the positives in the present moment? 

“Oh, I know your house just burned down and you lost everything you own, but just look at the positives in the present moment.”

“I know your wife just left you for another woman but look at the positives.” 

“I know your kids are on crack, you have no money and no place to stay but look at the bright side.”

You might think I’m being way over the top with those examples but I’m not.  Almost every week I get a phone call or a visit from people going through these very things and here lately I have been nearly overwhelmed by people asking me if our church can help them because they have nothing.  They have no money, no food, no shelter and only the clothes on their back.  Should I tell them to be content by looking at the positives of their situation? 

Or should I tell them that #1 – our church will help them and #2 that they can be content by remembering what God has done for them in the past and by looking forward to what He will do in the future?  But I always have to tell them that just like every good deal, there is a catch.  The catch is found in verse 6.  Do you see it there? 

Godliness with contentment is great gain.  It doesn’t just say to be content by looking backward and forward.  It doesn’t even say that everybody can be content.  It says that godliness is the key.  Godliness is to be like God; to be of God; to be a child of God.  You become godly when you start your relationship with Him through His Son Jesus.  Godliness mixed with looking back and looking forward, in spite of current circumstances leads to contentment. 

And no where in there does it mention getting more stuff.  In fact, that same Mayo Clinic paper said that “Only 10 percent or so of the variation in people's reports of happiness can be explained by differences in their circumstances.”  In other words, your happiness might go up 10% if you got everything you ever wanted.  That’s from a clinical study of the subject but I can tell you from scripture and from first-hand knowledge that acquiring material possessions is a trap. 

Trey Pittman kept trying to get me to go shopping with him on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving and it reminded me of what I did last year.  I refuse to get up in the middle of the night to fight crowds even for a great deal but I decided to look for a TV online last year.  My TV is pretty old and I thought if I could get one pretty cheap I might splurge. 

So, I went to Walmart.com or somewhere and started looking for TV’s and sure enough I found some great deals.  I had a budget and found what I wanted but then right next to that was a bigger TV for just a little more money.  Well, you know, if I can spend this much I can spend just a little more.  Oh, wait, look at that!  A 55 inch for just a little bit more.  Ok, look at that.  I can get a 66 inch for a really good deal.  Look how much they have discounted it.  Ooh!  Almost as much as that 70 inch that would really look good in my house.  Then I can get HD and I can get some movies and I can get…wait!  Stop! 

I got caught up in the trap right there on the website and I just had to get off the computer completely.  I went and looked at my old TV and realized how foolish I had been.  I didn’t need a new TV at all.  Mine works just fine and if I had a nicer one I would probably just spend more time wasted in front of it.

Philip Parham tells the story of a rich industrialist who was disturbed to find a fisherman sitting lazily beside his boat. "Why aren't you out there fishing?" he asked.  "Because I've caught enough fish for today," said the fisherman.  "Why don't you catch more fish than you need?' the rich man asked.  "What would I do with them?"  "You could earn more money," came the impatient reply, "and buy a better boat so you could go deeper and catch more fish. You could purchase nylon nets, catch even more fish, and make more money. Soon you'd have a fleet of boats and be rich like me."  The fisherman asked, "Then what would I do?"  "You could sit down and enjoy life," said the industrialist.  "What do you think I'm doing now?" the fisherman replied as he looked placidly out to sea. (http://www.sermonillustrations.com/default.html) 

Our contentment does not hinge on what we have or don’t have in the present.  As believers, we can look back and see what God has done or we can look forward to what He will do in the future.  That’s the lesson Paul would have us to learn at this time of year especially.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment