Sunday, February 23, 2014

“Authentic Thoughts” – Proverbs 15:11


Have you ever heard somebody say, “I had the craziest dream last night!”?  And then they go on to tell you about something that makes absolutely no sense?  I have a question.  Have you ever had a dream that did make sense?  Have you ever had a dream and the next day said, “Hey that was a good idea.  I’m gonna try that.”  Somebody real briefly tell me about a crazy dream you had.

I remember a while back having a dream that Indians were chasing me down a snowy mountain and we were all on skis.  And they chased me to the top of this building and they started shooting me with BB guns.  And then I woke up.  Where does that come from?  I hadn’t been thinking about Indians, skiing or BB guns.  How does that stuff get into our heads?  Do you ever wonder that?

I have had a couple of horrible dreams just here lately and I woke up thinking I needed to go the psychologist.  I must be mentally disturbed to have dreams like that.  It was awful.  Am I the only one?  Or sometimes maybe you just have some thought pop up in your brain and you think how horrible that is and that you really don’t feel that way.  You would never do that or talk that way or want whatever it was that flashed through your head.

And when I get to Heaven…I am not going to bring that up!  I don’t really want to know or even talk about it but if I did want to, God would know.  He would know the answer to my question of where does that stuff come from.  He would be able to tell me that it was a combination of the news I watched, the conversation I overheard and the late-night pizza I had eaten, or whatever it is.

But whatever causes that kind of dream or thought, I am glad to know that God understands where that stuff comes from.  I’m glad to know that He understands my thoughts better than I do and that He knows my motives and that He knows my heart.  Because there was that time back in about 1982 that I had good motives for that one deal and I want credit for that.

But I will also tell you that it scares me to death to think that God knows my heart and sees my motives because of all those other times.  He has seen those other times when I was prideful or bitter.  He knows that I was sarcastic when I gave that compliment.  He saw me being obedient with teeth clenched and fists balled up.  He knows when I’m fake.  He knows when I’m lazy.  He knows when I have a bad attitude.  He sees all of that in me just as plain as day.  And it scares me, but does it change me?

As we end our series on being authentic, I want to look at one last proverb that talks about how God knows our heart, our motives, our thoughts and we will see what it takes to have authentic thoughts; thoughts that are wholesome and pleasing to God.  I don’t know it but I hope that when our thoughts become more authentic then maybe our dreams will even be better as well.

Turn again to the book of Proverbs and we will look at Proverbs 15:11.  We have seen what it means to be authentic, worship authentically, live authentically and trust authentically even when God disciplines us.  Today we see what is involved with having authentic thoughts in Proverbs 15:11.

 “Death and Destruction lie open before the LORD-- how much more the hearts of men!”

Somebody tell me what it’s like to be dead.  Somebody tell me how it feels to be in the grave.  Somebody tell me how you are going to die, how I am going to die.  Somebody tell me where Moses is buried.  Somebody tell me who is in the tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  You can’t but God can.  All of that is as open to God as an old book.  He knows all, sees all, reads all and is Lord of all.

Martin Luther said, “Even the devil is God’s devil.”  God knows what Satan is going to do next and while Satan may be the lord of this world (for now); the Lord of the devil is God, Yahweh, Jehovah, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  And God even knows the thoughts, understands the motives and sees every action of Satan himself.  And that ought to scare the fire out of him but it doesn’t.  And it ought to scare the fire out of you and me, but does it?

Just for grins I googled, “What is it like to be dead?”  I wondered if anybody else had ever thought of the question that way.  Come to find out, I’m not the first.  The most common answer compared it to being asleep.  One agnostic person said we have nothing to fear because we didn’t exist before we were born just like we won’t exist when we die.  And that is very similar to Mark Twain’s thoughts on it.  He said, "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

I like Mark Twain and consider him to have been a pretty smart guy but Proverbs 14:12 says, “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.”  Isaiah 55:9 says, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”  What the grave is like, what death is like, who is there and how it happens only God knows and He has known it before He created it.

But Solomon’s point here is not to just say that God knows all about death, the grave and Hell.  His point is that since God knows all of that and we can’t conceive of any of that beyond what He has revealed to us in His Word, God knows every thought, feeling and motivation that we have.  And as I said, that should give us peace knowing that the good we have in our hearts, our good intentions and warm feelings we get when we do something for someone else; all that counts for something.

But it’s the other side of that coin that can and should concern us.  If He knows all the good then He also knows all the bad.  I hear people all the time say the way to get to Heaven is if your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds and they are happy with that, comparing themselves to all the really bad people they can think of.  But not only is that horribly faulty theology, I think for most people it wouldn’t turn out any better if that were true.

If it weren’t for the cross of Christ and that our salvation comes through faith and by grace and if God really did judge us according to all our thoughts and deeds, then most of us would wind up smashing through the gates of Hell like a sled on ice.  But as believers we know that we have God’s grace and mercy and forgiveness and so we don’t have to worry about having bad thoughts even if God does see them, right?

Of course that’s not true.  We saw from verses 8, 9, and 10 what God thinks about sin, even of the believer.  He detests it.  He calls it evil and He says there will be stern punishment for it.  When we looked at those verses, I brought out that all sin is a choice and we know that all choices start out their lives as thoughts.  You have heard the quote that thoughts become words and words become actions and actions become habits and habits become character.

All sin starts with a thought.  And 2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “We take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”  And we read that and we believe it and we quote it and rely on it and we do everything but make a plan for how to do it.  We are going to try to capture something; something that is fleeting and difficult to even describe some time and yet we fail to make any plan of action on how to do it.  We go to battle without a battle plan.

Well, we are going to make a battle plan today.  When Jesus was tempted in the desert, His response always started out, “It is written…” and then He would quote scripture.  Scripture is our only offensive weapon according to Ephesians 6 and that is what our battle plan is going to be based on today: scripture.

The first thing we have to do is guard our hearts and minds.  Proverbs 4:23 says, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”  My big dog, Bo, likes for me to leave the back door open so he can see what’s going on in the neighborhood.  And when he sees somebody walking down the road, even from a long way off, he starts to growl.  The hair on the back of his neck starts to stand up and his upper lip starts to curl and the closer they get the more intense he becomes until he barks his big-boy bark and runs them off.  And then he looks at me like, “Look what I did.”

Well, we ought to be the same way when it comes to our thought- life.  When those detestable thoughts pop into our heads, we need to recognize them immediately as threats to our very life, because they are.  And we need to run them off.  Let me give you one way of doing that.

I hate to ask you to think one of those thoughts but consider it the practice you need for the hand-to-hand combat you are going to face when you leave here.  I want you to think about that pet sin in your life; that sin that you struggle with day after day.  Whatever it is, make a mental picture of it right now.  It’s a picture with a glass frame.  Now take that picture of that sin and throw it on the ground and stomp on it until it is destroyed, unrecognizable.

We are guarding our hearts and we know that every sin is a choice and those choices start out as thoughts and so destroy that thought completely.  You have taken that thought captive and have given it no mercy.  That’s step one.  But you have to do step two.  You have to do step 2 because if you just take that thought captive and destroy it, all of its relatives will come back and take its place.

So you have to replace that thought with another thought.  You have to think of something else, put something in its place or you’ll lose the battle.  And with step 2 we look at Philippians 4:8.  Most of you are familiar with that beautiful verse that says, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

I want to give you a copy of this verse to take home with you.  Put it on your mirror or in your wallet or wherever you need it so you can get to it in a hurry when you need it.  A soldier going to battle doesn’t leave his gun in the barracks.  He takes it with him and has it at the ready.  This is your offensive weapon so keep it handy.  Now, when everybody has their own copy, I want us to go over it word by word.

I tried to leave some space around it so you can write on it and I want you to write on it this morning.  Where it says to think on whatever is true, I want you to think of something that is true and write that next to the word “true”.  In fact, I want you to holler out something that is true right now.  See, the problem with this verse is that in the heat of battle, sometimes it’s hard to think of something that is true or noble or right and it’s sort of like having a gun that you can’t get the safety button off.  You have the weapon but it’s not doing you any good.

So, what is something true?  Be specific and think of something that is true that will help you replace that bad thought.  Now go to noble.  What is something noble?  And so on…

Ok, now we move on to the 3rd step.  Step one was guard your heart.  Step 2 was to replace the thought.  And step 3 is to practice it.  And we see that in the verse after Philippians 4:8, verse 9.  In Philippians 4:9, Paul says, “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

 

 

Rubenstien, the great musician said, "If I omit practice one day, I notice it, if two days, my friends notice it, if three days, the public notices it." I want to tell you that if you don’t practice this then Satan will notice it and jump on you with both feet.  He can’t fight against God’s Word but if you don’t practice it he will attack.  But when you practice it then Paul says that the God of peace will be with you.  And that leads right into the 4th and last step.

 

What I am trying to get us to do is not an easy thing.  If it were we wouldn’t need to spend this time on it, obviously.  In fact, I have some good news and some bad news.  The bad news is that you can’t do it.  You can’t do any of these steps on your own.  But the good news is that you can’t do it.  But the Holy Spirit can, through you.  And as Paul said, God is with us.  Our 4th step comes from Galatians 5:16 that says, “So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

 

Yes, we have a responsibility in this.  We have to do the first 3 steps but we also have to know that we will never succeed without the Spirit’s help.  Unless we are abiding in Christ, spending time in His Word and in prayer, saturating ourselves with Him through worship, music, fellowship with other believers and then just being still and knowing that He is God; if we don’t do those things and allow the Holy Spirit to work through us, then we are wasting our time and we are doomed to continue struggling with those same sins over and over.

 

“Walk by the Spirit” Paul says.  And that is the secret to being authentic, to authentic worship, authentic living and trust and authentic thoughts.  Walk by the Spirit and allow Him to do it through you.  Quit struggling.  Quit worrying.  Quit having to go to God time after time asking for forgiveness of those same old sins.  Take every thought captive and replace it with Him.  That is authenticity.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment