Sunday, October 26, 2014

“The Purpose Driven Church” – Evangelism – Acts 20:22-24


As we live and grow older it is common and normal to think about death and dying. Some folks don’t ever want to think about such things but I think we should think about it. I believe it’s healthy to contemplate how we should die as well as how we should live and the impact our lives have on others as we do both.

 

There was an elderly man at home, upstairs, dying in bed. He smelled the aroma of his favorite chocolate chip cookies baking. He wanted one last cookie before he died. He stumbled down the stairs and crawled into the kitchen where his wife was busy baking cookies. With his last remaining strength he crawled to the table and was just barely able to lift his withered arm to the cookie sheet. As he grasped a warm, moist chocolate chip cookie, his favorite kind, his wife suddenly whacked his hand with a spatula.
Stop that! Those are for the funeral."

 

Leaving this world may not be a particularly nice thought for you. But if you had a choice, how would you want to leave this world? You would probably want your family with you, to love you, and comfort you as best they could. It sure would be nice to leave with a chocolate chip cookie on your breath if you ask me. I don’t want to go with broccoli being the last thing I ate, know what I mean?

 

Most people, though, try to save all of their lives just so they can enjoy their retirement and not have to worry about how and where they are going to spend their last years. There are some beautiful retirement apartments in downtown Ft. Worth where, if you will just give them a million dollars, they will do everything for you. You never have to worry about mowing the grass or cleaning house or even cooking. It’s all included in that one easy payment of a million bucks.

 

The questions are how do you want to live and how do you want to die? Can you imagine the manager of those apartments approaching the apostle Paul with that opportunity? Paul listens to the guy’s spiel and cocks his head to one side and says, “You mean to tell me that all I will be responsible for is getting myself dressed and figuring out what TV show to watch? What kind of life is that and what kind of death is that?”

 

See, Paul knew that there was more to this life than being comfortable. He knew that with great responsibility comes great reward. He knew that from whom much was given, much was required. He knew that how you die is a reflection of how you lived and he devoted himself to living and dying as much like Jesus as possible.

 

Too often I find myself inadvertently thinking of Paul as a superman. When you think of all that he went through and yet all that he did, it’s hard to believe that he was human just like us. But Paul had sin, fears, doubts and defeats just like we do and maybe more. Yet he made the decision to live out God’s purpose for his life in spite of those things. I have heard that the definition of courage is being scared but saddling up anyway.

 

I want us to look at a time when Paul was courageous in a beautiful passage in the New Testament book of Acts. Acts is just after the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and just before Romans. If you use the Bible in the back of the pew in front of you it is probably on page 788. Acts 20:22-24. The setting for this is later in Paul’s life after he had been a missionary for a long time and had started lots of churches all over Europe, Asia and the Middle East. You might think he would be planning for retirement or at least slowing down and figuring out how he would spend his last years as comfortable as possible.

 

But instead he calls a bunch of his friends together and gives them a goodbye speech. These are people from the church he started in Ephesus; people that loved him and didn’t want to see him go; people that gladly would have given him a place to stay and a salary to live out his life with them there. But Paul knew that wasn’t God’s will or His purpose for Paul’s life. So, let’s read what Paul tells them in Acts 20:22-24.

 

And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.”

 

Brian Amerman, do you trust me? Can you conceive of a scenario in which I would knowingly hurt you or do anything negative to you or do anything that was not in your best interest? (I sure hope he says no.) Hold out your hands. (Tie his hands with wire ties and lead him to the front.)

 

When Paul says in verse 22 that he is “compelled by the Spirit”, the word “compelled” actually means to be bound either physically or legally or some other way. It has the idea of being bound in marriage or bound by contract or even chains. Some of you identify with the marriage and chains thought more than others. J What Paul was saying is that he really had no choice.

 

Oh, he had a choice but if he wanted to fulfill his purpose in life and continue to have that abundant life that Jesus had promised; and if he wanted to continue to have the joy and peace that comes from having a close relationship with God through His Son Jesus, then he had no choice but to go to Jerusalem. He was compelled to go like a bride is compelled to go with her husband.

 

Paul is being compelled to go to Jerusalem to do basically 2 things and those 2 things are also what we are compelled to do as well. He was compelled to go and he was compelled to bring. Jesus said in John 15:16, “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might GO and bear fruit—fruit that will last.” If we are going to live a full and abundant life; if we are going to have peace and joy; if we are going to have a relationship with Jesus; and if we are going to live a purpose driven life then we too will go.

 

And of course right now you are all thinking that I am talking about going on a mission trip…and you wouldn’t be wrong. In fact, I am talking about going on a mission trip; maybe even a trip to India in early 2016 or a trip to Nicaragua in 2015 or a trip to Haiti. A closer option would be Michigan next year or to some of the prisons with the biker church or even to the county jail in Decatur.

 

That kind of thinking is all through the New Testament. The Great Commission in Matthew 28 says go and make disciples of all nations. Acts 1:8 says, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Mark 16:15 says, “He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” Leaving your country, state or city was a common command for followers of Jesus 2000 years ago and it hasn’t changed.

 

But there is also the command to go to our neighbors. In Matthew 10:7 Jesus sends the disciples out to the local towns and villages and even the houses around them and tells them, “As you go, proclaim this message.” We will get to “What message?” here in a minute but the first thing you have to do is go. And the good thing about this is that you are already going. You are!

 

Where are you going? You are going to work, to school, to the grocery store, library, car wash, wherever. The secret is to go intentionally. I’m not saying that you otherwise go on accident. I’m saying that wherever you go, go with the intention of sharing Jesus with the people you have contact with. John the Baptist, Jesus, the disciples, Paul and so many others went about their daily lives not living to work or living to play but living as if everyone they met needed to hear the life-changing story of God’s grace…because they did need to hear it.

 

D.L. Moody! If we all knew the life story of the old evangelist D.L. Moody who lived in the 1800’s we would probably all rush out of here right now to go witness to somebody just at the mention of his name. Moody made it a practice to talk to at least one person every day about Jesus. He was going to witness to some lost person every day of his life. He saw a man on the street one time, stopped to talk to him and said, “Excuse me sir, do you mind if I ask if you are a Christian?” The man said, “That’s none of your business!” Moody said, “I’m sorry to offend you but it actually is my business.” To that the other man replied, “Oh, you must be D.L. Moody!

 

I love that story! Moody was just going, just doing what he was supposed to be doing and minding his own business but his real business…was fulfilling his purpose for his life. His real business, and ours, is intentionally going about our business telling others…what? What was it that Moody was telling them? It was the same thing that Paul was telling them and it leads to the other aspect of evangelism. We are called to go but we are also called to bring.

 

Look back at our passage in Acts 20. Paul says he is compelled by the Spirit to go and then the last phrase tells us something very important. He says he is going to complete the task of testifying to God’s grace. Notice that the task is not to bring people to church. He is not bringing judgment. He is not bringing doctrine or some deep theology. He is bringing the people his own testimony of God’s grace.

 

Now there are several different styles of witnessing or evangelism. They can all work. It really just depends on what you are most comfortable with. There is the confrontational style like John the Baptist, Peter or Steven. “Repent and be baptized!” Short and not-so-sweet.

 

There is the intellectual style like Paul could do and did in Acts 17where he debated the philosophers. You really have to know your stuff to do that.

 

You could be relationalabout it. In Mark 5 Jesus told the demon-possessed man He had just healed to go home and tell his family what had happened. That style is great but just make sure you don’t JUST live it out. At some point you have to speak it.

 

Invitational? (John 4) The Samaritan woman at the well begged the people of the city to come and hear Jesus for themselves.

 

Serving? (Acts 9) Dorcas impacted her city by doing deeds of kindness which we saw last week is actually part of our purpose as people and as a church.

 

But my favorite way of evangelizing is testimonial. In John 9 Jesus heals a blind man and the Pharisees grill him about who healed him. He said he didn’t know anything about Jesus except this one thing. “I was blind but now I see.” And that is what Paul is encouraging us to do with his words in Acts 20. We may not be able to quote a lot of scripture or explain predestination or know what all of the symbolic sevens in Revelation stand for but we can tell about God’s grace in our lives. And nobody can dispute that.

 

What that means in my life is that I accepted Jesus into my life to be my Lord and Savior when I was seven years old. I didn’t understand everything about it and still don’t. I lived serving the Lord that way for a long time but, as some do, I drifted away in my late teens. While I was away from the Lord I suffered the consequences of disobedience and lost my joy and my peace. But as 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” And while my life today is far from perfect (I mean I still have to put up with Trey on Sunday nights!) God has blessed me so generously to be here doing what He has called me to do that it makes me want to tell everybody about God’s grace.

 

And when I give that testimony to people they can’t argue about that. What are they going to say, “You don’t have joy and peace”? No because that is my testimony. They don’t have to know my church history or my family history. In fact, those are really just distractions. The only time Paul ever mentions his history is to say that he considered all that to be rubbish compared to knowing Jesus.

 

Let me give you some practical advice on how to bring this up in conversation. I would love to say I thought of this but, once again, Paul said it in 1 Corinthians 9: “To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel that I may share in its blessings.”

 

In other words, Paul found something in common with everybody. He found some commonality that would bring him closer to the other person which would allow for him to tell that person of what God had done in his life. If you try I know you can find something in common with almost everybody you come in contact with. And all it takes is one little thing.

 

Oh, you like chocolate? I love chocolate too. God is so good to allow us little things like chocolate to brighten our day and show us He loves us. Aren’t the changing colors of fall beautiful? Oh, yes, isn’t God creative the way He made the world with so many colors? See. It doesn’t have to be a big thing.

 

And maybe the other person just changes the subject but it just might allow for you to talk more about God’s grace and then into your testimony and then to how Romans says we are all sinners and that the wages of sin is death but John 3:16 says that God loves everybody and gave His own Son so we could live forever with Him. Boom. Gospel. You are a raging evangelist. You’re living out your purpose as a follower of Jesus.

 

Evangelism is just going and bringing. Go…to the grocery store or work or the Bridgeport football game or Nicaragua. Bring…the good news of God’s grace! You can do that. Oh, sure, people are going to reject you and make fun of you and ignore you. But that’s God’s thing to work on with them. You just do what you are supposed to do and you will have joy and peace in this life plus the rewards in Heaven reserved for those who live out their purpose.

But you can’t live out your purpose; you can’t have lasting peace; you can’t have eternal life in Heaven with Jesus when you die if you don’t accept Him to be Lord and Savior while you live. You have no testimony to share with others and you will never be content or live that full and abundant life Jesus promises without doing that. And I would love to tell you more about what that means right now if you would just come ask.

 

You don’t have to be good enough. You don’t have to clean up your life before you do. Again, that’s God’s thing to work on with you. You don’t even have to understand everything. I sure didn’t. Just understand that you are a sinner in need of forgiveness. Jesus came and died on the cross to pay the price for that sin so you could be forgiven. All you have to do is accept it. Accept the free gift of God’s amazing grace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment