Wednesday, February 27, 2013

“So What?” – Part III– John 14:1-6

If you could spend an evening having dinner with anyone in the world, living or dead, who would it be? Now, for the sake of the story, don’t say Jesus. We all know that’s the right answer and what we are supposed to say, but for now let’s don’t say it. With whom would you like to spend an evening eating your favorite foods? Mexican food with Pancho Villa or lasagna with Michelangelo or sausage and sauerkraut with Albert Einstein? Or how about Greek food with the apostle Paul, Jewish food with King David?

Now, what if you knew that whatever person you chose would pick you as their answer to that question? How much fun would it be to know that the person you wanted most to be with also wanted to be with you? You could sit and talk and eat for hours. Now, the problem with actually having a night like that is that it always has to come to an end. Don’t you just hate it when a great evening ends?

Well, I have some good news. In fact, I have good news on top of good news. Imagine actually being able to enjoy whatever food you want with whomever you want and never having to worry about running out of time. That is just the smallest of pictures of life in Heaven. And even better than all of that, you could enjoy that meal with Jesus Himself. Can you imagine sitting down at a real table and eating enchiladas with Jesus, talking and laughing and asking each other questions? Because He has chosen you as a believer in Him to spend eternity in fellowship with Him, you can spend as much time with Him as you want, knowing He wants to eat enchiladas with you too.

That’s a pretty powerful vision for me, not just because I like to eat but also because I can’t imagine Jesus wanting to spend time with me and yet the Bible would teach us that He does. That’s a far cry from what most people think about how Heaven is going to be. What is the stereotypical view of Heaven? What do all the cartoons show people doing in Heaven? Sitting on a cloud strumming a harp. How boring! I don’t want to do that. That would not be Heaven for me and probably not you.

Gary Larson was the artist for the Farside cartoons and I remember a cartoon he drew one time with that picture of a man sitting in Heaven on a cloud with a harp in his lap. The caption read, “Wish I had brought a magazine.” Why is it that Heaven seems to get such a lame rap? Why is it that Heaven, the place of all joy, all happiness, all health, all fulfillment, all everything we want is depicted as a place that makes people say, “So what if there is a Heaven?”

It’s not the Bible’s fault. The Bible is full of information about Heaven and we will discuss some of what it says today. But where does this misinformation come from? I’ll tell you where it comes from. It comes from the father of misinformation, the father of lies, the opposer, the accuser, the adversary Satan. Satan doesn’t have to prove to us that there is no Heaven. He just has to convince us that Heaven is a boring place and if we believe that then we will be robbed of our joy and anticipation. We will set our minds on things of this life and not the next and we won’t be motivated to share our faith. (Heaven, Randy Alcorn)

Revelation 13:6says that Satan opened his mouth to blaspheme God, and to slander his name and his dwelling place and those who live in Heaven. What better way for the devil and his demons to attack than to whisper lies about the very place that God tells us to set our hearts and minds? Let’s set our hearts and minds on it this morning by turning to a beautiful passage in the book of John.

This passage is one of my favorites. It has fascinated me since I was a little kid. It has comforted at funerals and has been used to lead people to a life-changing relationship with Jesus. Turn to John chapter 14 and we will read verses 1-6.

14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

I don’t know about you but to me that passage is like a favorite pair of old blue jeans. I have read it a thousand times and it always makes me feel good. I’m always glad to read it and every time I do, I feel like I found 5 bucks in the pocket. You know what I mean? It’s a gold mine of good stuff.

You can use this passage to teach all kinds of things but I want to see just 3 things this morning.

1) Heaven is a place.

2) Heaven is a prepared place.

3) Heaven is a prepared place for prepared people.

Every culture that has ever existed has had some sense that this life was not all there is. Anthropological evidence shows that everybody from the Australian aborigines to the Mayans to the Native American Indians has had some kind of God-given sense of the eternal. That’s why you may have heard before that it takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to believe in God.

It is natural for us to consider an after-life even if we have never read the Bible because God put that in us. We are wired to see creation and realize there must be a Creator. And if there is a Creator then there must be more to this life. That is especially important to those who go through life in great pain or need or without ever feeling fulfilled. And this nasty old life can sure be that way for a lot of folks. If this is all there is to life then I would have to think it’s not really worth it.

The problem is that too many people see the afterlife just as bad if not worse. It scares people to think of the great unknown especially if we are going to fly around like Casper the ghost singing “Holy Holy Holy” all day up in the clouds. When Jesus told His disciples, “In my Father’s house are many rooms…I am going there to prepare a place for you” He deliberately chose common, physical terms to describe where He was going and what He was preparing for us. He wanted to give His disciples and us something tangible to look forward to – an actual place where they and we would go to be with Him.

He did this because of the fact that Heaven is a place. It is not a state of mind. It is not some spooky, spiritual spectrum of consciousness. People often say things like, “Well, we just can’t know much about Heaven until we get there.” Or,“She’s in a better place; a place of the great unknown.” “We can’t even imagine what Heaven is going to be like!”

Well, actually we can imagine it. We might not be able to do it complete justice but we have an idea because it is going to be similar to how we live right now. When Marco Polo returned to Italy from China he described China as a world that his audience had never seen. They felt he was making it up but it wasn’t that China was a fairy tale or a lie. It was similar to Italy in that it had streets and mountains and trees and people but it was just different.

The Bible teaches that Heaven is a familiar, physical, tangible place; a place that we will be very similar to what we know here on earth. Heaven is described as having streets, buildings, cities and countries. It is said to have walls, gates, real gardens, banquets and bodies. Yes, we will have physical bodies. Just as Jesus was resurrected and then came back in His physical body in Acts 1, so will we. Moses and Elijah appeared physically with Jesus at the Transfiguration and so it makes sense that we, too, will have physical bodies in a physical world.

The Bible teaches that we will be known in Heaven as we are known on earth. Jesus says in Matthew 8:11, “many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven”.

Obviously we will somehow recognize each other even though we will have perfect bodies as it says in Philippians 3:21, in heaven Christ “will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body”. So, while we can’t know everything about Heaven we can know that it is a real place.

And not only is it a place but it is a prepared place. In verse 2Jesus says that He is going to prepare a place for you. I wanted to know exactly what that meant so I looked it up in the giant concordance I have of biblical words. I looked up “prepare” and “place” and do you know what? I didn’t learn a thing. It means to prepare a place, just like we would use those words.

I’ve told you before about going up to Wyoming to see Yellowstone Park a few years ago. It is an incredibly beautiful place and I would love to go back there some time. In some places it feels like another world because it is so different than anything I’ve ever seen. I stopped at some point just along the side of the road to look over a mountain range and I decided to walk down the mountain I was on just a little ways. There was no path and this wasn’t a rest stop. Nobody else was around and I’m quite sure nobody would ever find me if I fell down the mountain into the heavy brush. (That may be why there was a fence with a warning sign right there now that I think about it.) But anyhow, I walked down a little ways and looked around and then started back up and I saw on the backside, the downhill side, of one of the trees was a vine growing with a big, beautiful flower growing on it. It was a huge flower with bright yellow and orange and red and green. And it was growing way down the mountain on the backside of a tree.

I stared at that flower for a long time and I wondered if God had put that flower there just for me because He knew I would be the only one dumb enough to walk down there…or if He made it just for Him and I just happened to see it. At another solitary place out in the desert with nobody around for miles and miles he prepared an incredible sunset and it was like God said, “Here, Todd, this is for you.” And those were just fleeting moments of God showing me His handiwork. Can you imagine what Heaven is going to be like? He has prepared a place for you; just for you, customized by Jesus just for you.

Hebrews 11:10 says that Abraham “was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. Can you imagine what the buildings are going to look like in Heaven? But there will be more than just buildings he is preparing for us. In I Timothy 6:17 we are told to “put our hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.” I believe we can expect to find continued enjoyment in Heaven. In Isaiah 25:6 it says, “On this mountain theLord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine— the best of meats and the finest of wines.” I would like to point out what is not mentioned here. There is no mention of vegetables! No veggies. There’s no broccoli in Heaven. Nope.

God has prepared a place for you; you personally; not one generic place for everybody but He has hand-prepared a special place just for you. In other words, God loves you so much that He wants you to enjoy your place in Heaven just like a good father here on earth would want his kids to enjoy their place.

When my oven didn’t survive “the bacon incident” a few months ago, my mom told me she wanted me to have her little toaster oven. She said she got it at a garage sale but it worked great and she had spent a long time cleaning it up. It was bigger than most and she really wanted me to have it because it was so nice. She told me she hardly ever used it and so I should take it. I knew she did use it but she insisted and it has worked great ever since. I know that gave her great joy to give that to me because she loves me and wanted me to have something that worked well.

Can you imagine the joy it will bring to Jesus to know that you are enjoying your place, your mansion, your room, whatever it is? It is just the right color and has everything you want and more. What kind of a father would welcome his child home saying, “Well done my good and faithful child! Now here is your shed to crash in. Don’t mind that old mower. Just push it over to the side but don’t step right there. That board is loose.”

No! The same God who loved you so much that He sent His only Son to die for you has prepared a place for you in heaven close to Him for eternity.

That should bring great joy and anticipation to all of us. Well, it should bring joy to those who are prepared. Because just as Heaven is a prepared place, it is a prepared place for prepared people. Last week in our study of Hell, we looked at Revelation chapter 20. And the last verse of that chapter says, “Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.” Those who are not prepared will not have their name written in the book.

Ruthanna Metzger, a professional singer, tells a story that illustrates the importance of having your name written in the book. Several years ago she was asked to sing at the wedding of a very wealthy man. The invitation said the reception would be held on the top two floors of Seattle ’s Columbia Tower . At the reception, waiters in tuxedos offered luscious hors d’oeuvres and exotic beverages to the guests. The bride and groom approached a beautiful glass and brass staircase that led to the top floor. Someone ceremoniously cut a satin ribbon draped across the bottom of the stairs. They announced the wedding feast was about to begin. Bride and groom ascended the stairs, followed by their guests.

At the top of the stairs, a maitre d’ with a bound book greeted the guests outside the doors and asked for their names.

“I am Ruthanna Metzger and this is my husband Roy”

“Would you spell it please. I can’t find it.”

Searching some more, the man said,“I’m sorry but your name isn’t here.”

There must be some mistake. I am the singer. I sang for this wedding!”

The man said, “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you did you cannot come in because your name is not in the book.” “Waiter, please show these people to the service elevator.”

She said she was humiliated as they walked toward the elevator and passed by beautifully decorated tables with shrimp, salmon, and incredible ice sculptures. They passed through the area where the orchestra was practicing with all the musicians dressed in dazzling tuxedos.

They made it to their car and her husband asked her what happened. She told him she got busy and didn’t think she would need to RSVP since she was the singer.

We learned last week that to be cast out of Heaven won’t just mean having to go home. It will mean being thrown into the lake of burning sulphur. And no explanation or excuse will matter. You can explain that you were a member of a Baptist church and that your Mama was a Sunday School teacher and Daddy was a preacher but God is going to say,” You can’t come in. I never knew you.”

God has prepared a place for you if you have prepared a place in your heart for Him. John said in I John 5:13, “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” But what does it mean to believe? It means that you have given your life to Him in full faith and trust and that since your sins are now forgiven you have devoted your life to Him. Does that describe you? If so, then you should be looking forward to Heaven with all your heart. It is a real place that Jesus has prepared for each one of us. But you have to be prepared. Why not do that right now?

*Special credit to Randy Alcorn’s book entitled Heaven for much of the information in this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment